What is the EDGE?
The Education Developing Gloucestershire's Employability (EDGE) project is a pioneering
scheme that aims to improve the employability skills of young people by working with learners, employers
and education providers whilst
focusing on the long-term business and economic needs of Gloucestershire. The project concentrates on
identifying the current skills gaps and shortages, with the long-term aim of retaining talent and
knowledge in the county.
If your business is one of around 450 of Gloucestershire's micro, small and medium sized enterprises
(SMEs) we will work with to ascertain how to make education in schools and colleges, as well as careers
advice and guidance, more relevant to the workplace.
The vision of the Gloucestershire Local Enterprise Partnership (GFirst) is to develop
a knowledge-based economy that will require a workforce with the skills to match. GFirst, with the support
of the EDGE project, is committed to understanding the current employability skills shortages to
ensure we resolve these issues the business sector, and help educate young people for local opportunities
in the future.
Work placements and promoting employability are all key elements of the EDGE project. Learners will be given support and guidance in helping them find a placement by the EDGE Work Placement
Team; however it is their responsibility to contact employers which will prepare them for the world of
work once they have left education. Work placements are a fantastic way of developing news skills, becoming
a team player, increasing confidence and putting theory into practice.
Some key benefits of work experience are:
- Helping young people to experience a working environment
- Being able to build on their skills, knowledge, self-esteem and confidence
- Improving their university application
- Making them appreciate the relevance of what they learn in college/school/sixth form
- Showing them how skills learned in college can be applied in a real work situation
- Opening up future employment opportunities and educational possibilities
- Giving them an opportunity to learn different aspects of their desired career
- Obtaining a positive reference from their employer
involved today and get the EDGE